Aspiranet Transition Age Youth Services

Building the bridge between foster care and independence


An important new law gives foster youth the option to remain in foster care and receive services and support until age 20!

Things to Know

  • The new AB12 program begins January 1, 2012. If you turn 18 on or after January 1, you can stay in foster care up to age 20 as long you meet eligibility requirements.*
  • It is up to you. The program is voluntary; you decide if you want to stay in foster care.
  • You can change your mind. Should you decide to leave foster care, you can return, provided you meet the requirements.
  • You have responsibilities too. You will need to meet with your social worker or
    probation officer, go to court and continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

What You Need to Do

  • You are eligible for the AB12 program if you are doing at least one of the following:
  • Completing high school or an equivalent program
  • Enrolling in college, community college or vocational education program
  • Employed at least 80 hours a month
  • Participating in a program/activity designed to remove barriers to employment
  • Unable to do any of the above because of a medical condition

Where You Can Live

  • You must live in one of the following places to be eligible for this program:
  • Home of a relative, non-related extended family member or legal guardian
  • Licensed or approved foster home
  • Transitional Housing Program Plus Foster Care (THP+FC)
  • Supervised Independent Living Program (SILP)
  • Group home (if needed to complete high school or if you have a medical condition)

What Your Responsibilities Are

  • To be part of this program, you will need to:
  • Meet with your social worker or probation officer each month
  • Attend a court hearing or administrative review every 6 months
  • Sign an agreement
  • Agree to work with your social worker or probation officer to meet the goals of your Transitional Independent Living Case Plan and receive case management services

How to Learn More

* If you turned 18 in 2011 and were under a foster care placement order under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court on January 1, 2012; or if you turned 18 in 2012 (and thereafter) while under an order for foster care placement, you may be eligible for Extended Foster Care.  Contact your social worker, probation officer or attorney to learn about options for staying in foster care beyond age 18 in your county.

Extension of foster care to age 20 is made possible through the California Fostering Connections to Success Act (AB12)

  • Find us at